How Popsicles Were Invented and Seven Other Summer Stats
The first day of summer is this Thursday, June 21st. To celebrate the start of the season, we have a breakdown of eight fun stats about summer.
- The most famous summer blockbuster of all time is Jaws.
- The popular summer treat, popsicles, were accidentally invented in 1905 by an 11-year old boy who left a glass of soda sitting outside overnight.
- Most American babies are born in the late summer.
- Roman General, Marc Antony, named the month of July after Julius Caesar.
- Frisbie, a summertime staple, was originally invented as a pie plate in 1871 for the Frisbie Pie Company.
- During the summer, the Eiffel Tower grows about 6 inches due to the heat expanding the iron.
- A summer favorite, watermelon, is actually a vegetable from the cucumber family and is made up of 92% water.
- The first modern Olympic Games were held in the summer in 1896 in Athens, Greece.